EHS Board position from July 2023: Secretary for Publications
Applications are open – Closing date 30 June 2023
Dear EHS members,
The EHS continues to grow, and take on more activities, for the benefit of our members but behind all of this, for the benefit of patients with a hernia. This Secretary position was established 3 years ago, with Manuel Lopez-Cano (Spain) the first secretary. Manuel successfully launched the Journal of Abdominal Wall Surgery (JAWS) and is the Editor in Chief (EIC). He has expressed concerns around a conflict of interest as EIC and his role as Secretary for Publications, in addition to the workload that goes with being EIC. The Board have shared this view, and thus Manuel will step down from the Board as Secretary for Publications, but continue as EIC of JAWS. We hope to see indexation in PubMed and then Impact Factor in coming years under his guidance.
The role of Secretary for Publications
Like all roles on the EHS Board, we look for energy, enthusiasm, willingness to work, bright ideas, empathy and creativity. The following is some of the ‘tasks’ of the post, that we hope to work on in coming years.
- Overview of Academic Journals
- Work with Journal of Abdominal Wall Surgery, the official publication of the EHS to ensure benefit to the EHS and its members
- Liaise with the British Journal of Surgery Society to ensure the Strategic partnership continues to provide benefit to the EHS membership. Be a member of the Editorial Board of the BJS
- Liaise with Springer to ensure the cost to the EHS of free access to Hernia is of benefit to the EHS membership
- Manage the Production of EHS position statements as necessary. This may involve collaboration with other Academic Societies, such as the EAES, EWMA, where there is shared interest in the topic.
- Manage the Production of EHS Guideline Summary documents (and their translation to common languages in the geographical area of the EHS). This would involve liaison with the Societies Associated and Affiliated to the EHS.
- Manage the Production of Patient versions of guidelines produced by the EHS (and their translation to common languages in the geographical area of the EHS).
- Manage the production of the EHS Newsletter 6 times a year.
- Manage the production of other EHS Official publications as necessary.
- Help to fill the website with more content.
Collaboration with the Board is important such as the Secretary for Quality (position statements), Science (guideline statements) and the Patient Advisory group (patient information leaflets) as well as the Web and Social Media Secretaries to promote the launch of new material and manage the archive of current documents.
If you have any questions, or wish to discuss this further, then contact with the Board can be made by email to firstname.lastname@example.org. The Board meets most months by telco, 8-10 pm CET, except the months of the winter meeting (2 day face to face meeting), and the Annual Congress (half a day before the Annual Congress).
The application process is as follows.
Please send the following to the EHS Secretariat by the closing date of 30 June 2023, via email to email@example.com
- Letter of up to 1000 words as to why you want to become Secretary for Publications, what you would bring to that position, and what plans, ideas, and objectives you have for the possible three/five years in office.
- Short CV – 3 pages maximum, including when you first joined the EHS and years of membership since, and also what Editorial Board, Associate Editor or Editor positions you currently hold with other medical journals.
Andrew de Beaux
General Secretary EHS